.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Wednesday, July 26
Please....Stop It!!
I am sitting in my kitchen eating a falafel, hearing the rockets whizzing overhead. Out in the blue sea I can see the Israeli warships block our port. My six children are terrified, and they are not able to go to school. We are all brothers and sisters in this world. May this war end soon.
Mohammed Abu Sheikh, Beirut, Lebanon

Standing in front of this 8-year-old boy lying in a hospital bed, the "conflict in the Middle East" and the "cost of war" seem endless and suffocating. His pain cannot possibly be imagined as he shakes uncontrollably in and out of shock. He has blood coming from his eyes. His name is Mahmood Monsoor and he is horribly burned. In the hospital bed next to him is his 8-month-old sister, Maria -- also burned. Screaming at the top of her lungs is the children's mother, Nuhader Monsoor. She is standing over her baby, looking at her son -- and probably thinking of her dead husband. The smell of burned flesh is overwhelming.
Cal Perry, CNN, Lebanon. Quoted from Four Children and the Cost of War.

I live in Haifa, the north sea port of Israel. Today, I lost a good friend, who was killed by the rocket that hit the city. Today, at 9 a.m. the sirens went off, and all of us, scared, went to find shelter. Then, we heard the noise of the rocket hitting its target, not knowing the location and the outcome. I tried to call my friend, who works in the Israeli railway workshop, with no answer. At that moment I felt that something happened to him. I tried a few more times to contact him and his family. I felt anxious and did not know what to do. Then, I got the call from another friend of ours. His voice was crying ... our friend was killed today, among the eight people killed in Haifa. May God bless him. He was so honest, so nice, so young! God, stop this bloodshed!
Nir, Haifa, Israel

I am an American Lebanese who lives in Lebanon; my husband lives in the States. We have three children who live with me in Lebanon... Now I'm here in Florida on vacation with my husband. I was supposed to go back to Lebanon at the end of July, but now I cannot. That is not the problem, the problem is that my three children who are only a 6-year-old girl (Millennia), a 5-year-old girl (Aya), and a 4-year-old boy (Jacob) are stranded alone in Lebanon. I and their dad are stuck here, no way to get there to bring them to the U.S.
Carolina Kmaid, Daytona Beach, Florida

I live in Tiberias, but I am now in Jerusalem. I, my husband and nine children live in the block of flats immediately opposite the building which was hit in Saturday's rocket attack. We were all having lunch at the time. All the windows blew in. Some of the children cut their feet and arms on the glass. Our flat is on the third floor of the seven-storey building. We left the building and couldn't go back in because of the damage. We took a very big taxi for Jerusalem soon afterwards. We're now staying with some relatives. We left without food, clothes or money. It will be about a week before we go back I think. It was an enormous shock. We never expected anything like that. Everyone is very nervous and dazed. We are in shock, listless.
Aliza Cohen, Tiberias, Israel.

I woke up yesterday to the horrible sounds of nonstop missiles falling meters from my home in Kiriat Haim, a small town near Haifa. I'm a student; we were supposed to have final exams these coming weeks. All were cancelled since a missile hit the ORT Braude College on the northern city of Karmiel.
Gili, Israel

I'm 33 years old, living in a town 50 km south of Haifa. Right now my wife's sister and her family have fled the north and came to live with us. We too are in the range of Hezbollah missiles, and we have nowhere to run. ... I wish the world would stop choosing sides by religion. I don't care if he is a Muslim and I am a Jew, I care about my year-old son, and I'm sure a Lebanese man is worried about his. ... I wish I could just stand in front of a TV camera and yell "STOP."
Nimrod Ganzarski, Pardes Hana, Israel

We went down to the port of Beirut this morning to board our escape vessel as told to do. We were there at 8 a.m. ... People were lined up in the sun and some people started fainting. As 11 a.m. approached people started getting panicky and crowded the gate even more. ... Desperate tourists started to climb the gate fence (which by now had been shut on us); they were pushed back. People were putting their luggage over the fence like a mosh-pit. At one stage we heard a child screaming, then we see the child being lifted up over the gate to the other side by the arms. People then started screaming at the organizers (it was all in Arabic so I couldn't understand). The organizers told everyone at about 12:15 p.m. to go home because the boat wasn't leaving ... Shaken and teary, we headed back the safety of our host's home.... This sounds like a scary movie. I just wish I was watching it, not living it.
Jay Konduros, Beirut, Lebanon

And many more stories at www.cnn.com and http://news.bbc.co.uk/

We could only get a glimpse on how it must be like being trapped in a war. Unless having experienced it ourselves, I think it would not be wise to say that we understand what these people are going through. I certainly don’t, and I could only pray for them.

People make war. BUT, it’s always people in power who make war, and never ordinary people. Most people in this world would love it to live side by side peacefully amidst all their differences.

The world wants peace. So, please…. pretty please…..STOP IT!!
 
posted by FLaW at 4:23 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    war put more number in military scoreboard
    war brings TV more money
    war brings artilery typhoon glory
    war brings a megalomaniac leader more budget in his pocket
    war keep the third country claimed their free fall into lower league
    war is a road of produce and consume
    war is the mean of economy
    and economy that built these so called human civilization.

    as long as there are human
    no war can be stopped...

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger FLaW

    war put more number in military scoreboard
    Yeah, and war certainly put more death number in the scoreboard

    war brings TV more money
    war brings a megalomaniac leader more budget in his pocket
    there is always a group of people who benefits from any situation: people in power and people with money who wants to make more money

    war brings artilery typhoon glory
    and makes the other artillery down with the typhoon

    war keep the third country claimed their free fall into lower league
    isn't that sad?

    war is a road of produce and consume
    yeah..producing and consuming weapons of mass destruction

    war is the mean of economy
    and economy that built these so called human civilization.
    if that really is the case, then we need to start calling ourselves uncivilized

    as long as there are human
    no war can be stopped
    yeah..you're probably right...