.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Monday, May 22
To (not) Read Between the Lines
Although I consider myself being good at 'tebak-tebakan garing', I am never good at reading between the lines. I am terrible at guessing what someone's real thoughts or feelings are, from only hearing what they say (bahasa indo-nya kali membaca yang tersirat dari yang tersurat. :) uhuy..).

Call me oblivious if you will, but it already takes a great enough effort from my side just to stay focus in a 'straightforward' conversation, in which my conversation partner(s) would explicitly say what they really feel or think (My mind constantly travels around, even when I am involved in a serious conversation, and at times I would find myself looking blankly at someone's face not knowing what to say because I have not been listening or paying attention).
So, it really really frustrates me when I am involved in a conversation that is dominated with implications. It is almost too much for me having to stay focus in the conversation, while at the same time having to 'intelligently' guess the true meaning of what others are saying . Hieeks..too much task for my little brain....
To cover up my inability to read between the lines, I have been practicing to put on my 'i-understand-what-you-are-talking-about' facial expression, although that does not always work, and the fact that I often say 'smart' things like, 'Huh?' (sadly , it is my favorite), or 'say what?' does not help at all. It only makes it clearer to my conversation partner that being a diplomat would not exactly be the best career choice for me.

Why can't people just say what they want to say, instead of saying other things and then expect others to infer something from the conversation. Knapa siiih??? Perhaps I am not a good observer, or perhaps I am oblivious of the obvious, or perhaps I am an un-basa-basi person....nggak tau deh..

I just think life would be easier if we do not need to read between the lines.

....

And look who's talking.....:) Bear with me yah, people!!
 
posted by FLaW at 10:05 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger RealMuhy

    i call it game of words!
    a game that can mengutak atik otak elu, dengan kata2. hahaha...
    ada apa sih? someone played the game with you?

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Belajar konsentrasi bu...

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger FLaW

    rdewaniti: yah, gimana dong, kejar tayang nih, tuntutan pemirsa. :)

    realmuhy: hehe...sebenernya sih gue suka maen game of words, tapi kl tertulis. kl ngomong langsung, wiiiks...rada lambat prosesor gue..

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    the function of the brain and nervous
    system is to protect us from being
    overwhelmed and confused by these mass
    of largely useless and irrelevant
    knowledge, by shutting out most of
    what we should otherwise perceive or
    remember at any moment, and leaving
    only that very small and special selection which is likely to be
    practically useful...
    --adolf huxley, the doors of perception--